Saturday, September 29, 2012

Compost

Behind the barn before picture
Well it is Fall and my garden's have been so neglected. I have been trying to keep up on them. The Upper area behind the barn, well that is just a frustrating on going chore.






Behind the barn after some work


I have deserted all but the Boysenberry and raspberry bushes and the fruit trees. The self sufficient ones. I have kept up on getting the soil worked up there. I really need to do studying about what to do up there. Everything either gets eaten by the ground squirrels or the invisible flying and night crawling bugs.



I have been composting the upper garden section by section. Let me show you and explain. I use this method because I leave the pile and build up on it. Here it is but my piles rarely get higher than 3 feet.


Baby Story on Composting :

My compost pile being guarded by Blu
During the early days of organic gardening, the Indore method was about the only systematic way for the home gardener to convert waste materials to humus. With this method, a compost heap is built in layers, using first a 6-inch layer of green matter like weeds, crop wastes or leaves. Next comes a two-inch layer of manure, which is in turn covered by a sprinkling of topsoil. The layers are repeated until the pile reaches a height of about 5 feet, and the heap is watered.
The pile is turned after 6 weeks and again after 12 weeks to allow air to penetrate so that the heap will heat up properly. After 3 months, the compost is finished and ready for application to the soil.

Materials to Compost
Browns = High Carbon Greens = High Nitrogen
Ashes, wood
Bark
Cardboard, shredded
Corn stalks
Fruit waste
Leaves
Newspaper, shredded
Peanut shells
Peat moss
Pine needles
Sawdust
Stems and twigs, shredded
Straw
Vegetable stalks
Alfalfa
Algae
Clover
Coffee grounds
Food waste
Garden waste
Grass clippings
Hay
Hedge clippings
Hops, used
Manures
Seaweed
Vegetable scraps
Weeds*
*Avoid weeds that have gone to seed, as seeds may survive all but the hottest compost piles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dig in