Monday, June 18, 2012

Ok so in the mornin'

Ok so I look like a sister wife....It is 6 am and this is how my garden likes me to look. It is a a la natural thang!

So let us focus on what is going on in the garden. I have come to the conclusion that the area up behind the barn is quite a job. I first thought that maybe moths or some type of bug was eating my snap pea leaves well any thing green on a stem. So I sprayed natural home made remedies, I netted, I scattered broken egg shells I did everything but sit up there and watch them "Mystery Bug" eat!

I also thought this must be happening at night. Not yesterday I went up to the garden to grab some fresh basil and my new baby cucumber sprouts were all Hi Mommy we Ok. I go up to water last evening and they are Poof gone!



 But these ones down by the house do not get touched humm ya think the dogs have anything to do with that. Perhaps the lil bunnies are scared...Good little hooligans.







 Rabbits also devour the tender new leaves and shoots of pea and bean plants. A group of rabbits can devastate a pea plot in a matter of hours. Because they are lower to the ground than deer, rabbits are more likely to eat pea plants from the outside in, at their base. To keep rabbits from getting at their plants, gardeners stake pea plants up, build fences and use garden net over their crops. 

Beetles, moths and slugs all feed on the vegetation of pea plants. These insects invade the plants from above, and settle onto the plant to feed at their leisure. Rather than destroying entire leaves or sections of the plants, insects usually leave holey, wilted leaves as evidence of their presence. Insects can be prevented through the use of pesticides, and by protecting a crop with netting fine enough that insects can't crawl through. 


 The strawberries look lovely. I have two types. My sister Casey gave me some to plant and they are big fatty ones. But I have some I planted a few years back and they are long skinny ones. Just as good but different. Now if the puppy would stop eating them it would be a good day. I swear I have to turn out to the garden each day and snap what ever I can big or small ...It a garden jungle out there I tell ya !

Ok so I copies that stuff from Ehow it was the closest I could get to anything that makes any sense.

3 comments:

  1. Grasshoppers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MARIGOLDS: (Calendula): Given a lot of credit as a pest deterrent. Keeps soil free of bad nematodes; supposed to discourage many insects. Plant freely throughout the garden. The marigolds you choose must be a scented variety for them to work. One down side is that marigolds do attract spider mites and slugs.

    French Marigold (T. patula) has roots that exude a substance which spreads in their immediate vicinity killing nematodes. For nematode control you want to plant dense areas of them. There have been some studies done that proved this nematode killing effect lasted for several years after the plants died back. These marigolds also help to deter whiteflies when planted around tomatoes and can be used in greenhouses for the same purpose. Whiteflies hate the smell of marigolds. Do not plant French marigolds next to bean plants.

    Mexican marigold (T. minuta) is the most powerful of the insect repelling marigolds and may also overwhelm weed roots such as bind weed! It is said to repel the Mexican bean beetle and wild bunnies! Be careful it can have an herbicidal effect on some plants like beans and cabbage.

    From:
    http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. And chives are good, but not with beans or peas....
    CHIVES: Improves growth and flavor of carrots and tomatoes. A friend to apples, carrots, tomatoes, brassica (broccoli, cabbage, mustard, etc) and many others. Help to keep aphids away from tomatoes, mums and sunflowers. Chives may drive away Japanese beetles and carrot rust fly. Planted among apple trees it helps prevent scab and among roses it prevents black spot. You will need patience as it takes about 3 years for plantings of chives to prevent the 2 diseases. A tea of chives may be used on cucumbers and gooseberries to prevent downy and powdery mildews. Avoid planting near beans and peas.

    ReplyDelete

Dig in