Sunday, April 15, 2012

Planting my Rhubarb

the gift from Dennis


Trimed the leaves to use the stock for jam



Rhubarb is a special plant. I did not even acknowledge it until I started to do my canning. It is an easy growing veggie and it has so many option for canning as well as baking and cooking. I think it is one of the under loved veggies. Thus we are doing a whole lot of talk about this little wonder today. Last year holy moly two years ago  walked down to a my neighbor who I knew was growing the stuff. I wanted to see if I could grab some to experiment with it in some jams. Well that afternoon he brought me up two beautiful plants. How sweet was that!



Just a baby this spring year 2
So in the last year I have learned a lot about this plant I am giving you two great links for information.  I knew I would only be able to use  the stock that had bloomed on it.  I did I made the best Strawberry Rhubarb Jam. Follow the link to the Jam yummy make some do not delay! So through the last year I think I lost the little plants! Nope low and behold they are coming back up. That is what this post is for so you can understand these plant better. They go dormant during the winter and only bloom out once a year from April till about September. Do not  harvest rhubarb the first year after planting. Each plant needs time to build up food reserves in the root to produce thick, robust stems. I learned this the hard way. So this year I will leave it alone again then next year use the stocks. Even though the plant was an established plant I think it needs to get use to my soil. Here are two great web site for Rhubarb. I am planting things in my garden this year that dome back every year. Save me time to put more effort into my tomatoes and other moody fragile plants....


  Rhubarb Central  and The Rhubarb Compendium

Here is a little something from one of the sites:

"Plant rhubarb roots in early spring. Planting seeds is not recommended as it may take too long for the plants to become established, and the seedlings would not come true to color and size, if that is important to you.

Space rhubarb roots 24 to 48 inches (60-120 cm) apart in rows 3 to 4 feet (1 m) apart for commercial growing. These distances can be decreased to 36 inches for plants in rows and rows for smaller gardens (non commercial). Much smaller than this will seriously crowd the plants and result in a diminished crop and increase the likelihood of spreading disease. A 2-3 year old plant, the Victoria variety can be 4 feet (1.25 meter) in diameter and 3 feet (1 meter) tall. Plant the roots with the crown bud 2 inches (5 cm) below the surface of the soil. The hole for the crown should be dug extra large and composted manure, peat moss or dairy organic should be mixed with the soil to be placed around the roots. Firm the soil around the roots but keep it loose over the buds. Water the crowns after planting. Give the plant 1/4 cup of 5-10-10 worked in to the top 10 inches of soil at planting time. Good garden drainage is essential in growing rhubarb. For home gardeners, planting in raised beds helps ensure against rotting of the crowns. Crowns will have a longevity of many years, but because of diseases and insects, it is Normal to reset a bed after 4-5 years."

4 comments:

  1. Why did you cut the leaves off?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cut the leaves off right before taking the stocks to make jam. Sorry for the confusion I just changed the caption...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. For wintering your Rhubarb put a couple of buckets of old horse manure on the plant and then cover with straw as a mulch and to keep bugs off your brassicas try putting panty hose on the plants when they are young and they will grow into them as they mature thx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much I love nothing more than information . I have horses so this is a great tip! Plus you have made me look up "barssicas" xoxo

      Delete

Dig in